Is It Possible To Get Rid of Cigarette Smoke Odor?
Cigarette smoke leaves a sticky residue on hard surfaces. Odor molecules also remain in the air and sink into porous surfaces such as carpet or upholstery. Specialized home deodorization methods for air, non-porous surfaces, and porous materials can eliminate smoke odor.
Removing Smoke Residue From Hard Surfaces
Hard surfaces such as ceilings, walls, and window blinds are suited for dry or wet cleaning methods. Depending on the depth of the residue, an odor mitigation service may rely on
- Chemical sponges for dry cleaning
- Degreasing cleaner for wet cleaning
Chemical sponges are made of absorbent rubber and do not contain chemicals. These sponges can be used to wipe off soot and stains. Scraping the sponge surface with a razor blade reveals a fresh layer for continuing to clean without smearing tar residue. Degreasing cleaner such as Trisodium Phosphate or phosphate-free TSP-PF dissolve smoke residue and eliminate odors.
Deodorizing the Air and Porous Surfaces
Smoke odors may linger in the air or porous surfaces such as carpet, drapery, furniture, or air ducts. The only ways to completely eliminate smoke odors involve the use of professional home deodorization equipment. There are several different machines to choose from:
- HVAC air scrubbers filter smoke particles from the air
- Hydroxyl generators use UV light to produce radicals that destroy smoke molecules
- Ozone machines release ozone molecules that oxidize smoke particles
- Thermal foggers fill the home with fog for 30 minutes prior to ventilation and drying
- Vapor modification disperses an aromatic compound in a mineral oil base to neutralize odors
Some of these methods, such as ozone or thermal fogging, require evacuation. Others may work more slowly, but can be done while residents remain in the house undergoing deodorization.
If you want to get rid of cigarette smoke odors, contact home deodorization experts in Luther, OK. Odor mitigation specialists can recommend the best methods for your residence.